COASST Authored Scientific Publications
The COASST team, working with many collaborators, translates data and our experiences into stories for our science, resource management and citizen science peers via peer-reviewed literature.
John F. Piatt, Julia K. Parrish, Heather M. Renner, Sarah K. Schoen, Timothy T. Jones, Mayumi L. Arimitsu, Kathy J. Kuletz, Barbara Bodenstein, Marisol García-Reyes, Rebecca S. Duerr, Robin M. Corcoran, Robb S. A. Kaler, Gerard J. McChesney, Richard T. Golightly, Heather A. Coletti, Robert M. Suryan, Hillary K. Burgess, Jackie Lindsey, Kirsten Lindquist, Peter M. Warzybok, Jaime Jahncke, Jan Roletto, William J. Sydeman. 2020. PLoS One. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0226087
Timothy Jones, Lauren Divine, Heather Renner, Susan Knowles, Kathi Lefebvre, Hillary Burgess, Charlie Wright, Julia Parrish. 2019. PloS ONE. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216532
Julia Parrish, Timothy Jones, Hillary Burgess, Yurong He, Lucy Fortson, Darlene Cavalier. 2019. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. doi.org/10.1093/icb/icy032
Julia Parrish, Hillary Burgess, Jake Weltzin, Lucy Fortson, Andrea Wiggins, Brooke Simmons. 2018. Integrative and Comparative Biology. doi.org/10.1093/icb/icy032
Timothy Jones, Julia Parrish, William Peterson, Eric Bjorkstedt, Nicholas Bond, Lisa Ballance, Victoria Bowes, Mark Hipfner, Hillary Burgess, Jane Dolliver, Kirsten Lindquist, Jacqueline Lindsey, Hannahrose Nevins, Roxanne Robertson, Jan Roletto, Laurie Wilson, Trevor Joyce, James Harvey. 2018. Geophysical Research Letters. doi/abs/10.1002/2017GL076164
Timothy Jones, Julia Parrish, Andre Punt, Vera Trainer, Raphael Kudela, Jennifer Lang, Mary Sue Brancato, Anthony Odell, Barbara Hickey. 2017. Marine Ecology Progress Series. doi.org/10.3354/meps12253
Hillary Burgess, Lauren DeBey, Halley Froehlich, Natalie Schmidt, Elinore Theobald, Ailene Ettinger, Janneke HilleRisLambers, Joshua Tewksbury, Julia Parrish. 2017. Biological Conservation. doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2016.05.014
Defining the baseline and tracking change in seabird populations:
Julia Parrish, Kate Litle, Jane Dolliver, Todd Hass, Hillary Burgess, Erika Frost, Charlie Wright, Timothy Jones. 2017. In: Citizen Science for Coastal and Marine Conservation. Edited by John Cigliano and Heidi Ballard. Routledge Press.
Kristine Bovy, Jessica Watson, Jane Dolliver, Julia Parrish. 2016. Journal of Archaeological Science. doi.org/10.1016/j.jas.2016.04.006
Benjamin Haywood, Julia Parrish, Jane Dolliver. 2016. Conservation Biology. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12702
Duncan McKinley, Abe Miller-Rushing, Heidi Ballard, Rick Bonney, Hutch Brown, Daniel Evans, Rebecca French, Julia Parrish, Tina Phillips, Sean Ryan, Lea Shanley, Jennifer Shirk, Kristine Stepenuck, Jake Weltzin, Andrea Wiggins, Owen Boyle, Russell Briggs, Stuart Chapin III, David Hewitt, Peter Preuss, Michael Soukup. 2015. Issues in Ecology.
Elinore Theobald, Ailene Ettinger, Hillary Burgess, Lauren DeBey, Natalie Schmidt, Halley Froehlich, Cherie Wagner, Janneke HilleRisLambers, Joshua Tewksbury, Melanie Harsch. 2015. Biological Conservation. doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2014.10.021
Rick Bonney, Jennifer Shirk, Tina Phillips, Andrea Wiggins, Heidi Ballard, Abraham Miller-Rushing, Julia Parrish. 2014. Science. doi.org/10.1126/science.1251554
Bycatch and Beached Birds:
Nathalie Hamel, Alan Burger, Kristin Charleton, Peter Davidson, Sandi Lee, Douglas Bertram, Julia Parrish. 2009. Marine Ornithology.
Emma Moore, Shannon Lyday, Jan Roletto, Kate Litle, Julia Parrish, Hannah Nevins, Jim Harvey, Joe Mortenson, Denise Greig, Melanie Piazza, Alison Hermance, Derek Lee, Dawn Adams, Sarah Allen, Shelagh Kell. 2009. Marine Pollution Bulletin. doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2009.02.006
Kate Litle, Julia Parrish, Jane Dolliver. 2007. In: Community-Based Coastal Observing in Alaska: Aleutian Life Forum 2006. Edited by Reid Brewer. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Julia Parrish, Nicholas Bond, Hanna Nevins, Nathan Mantua, Robert Loeffel, William Pterson, James Harvey. 2007. Marine Ecology Progress Series. doi.org/10.3354/meps07077
Beached Bird Guides
COASST designed and published a field guide for identification of beached birds. Copies of these guides can be purchased directly from COASST. Contact us for more information.
Publications Featuring COASST
COASST data has been used in reports and publications by resource management agencies and other researchers. Additionally, the COASST program has been a subject of study on personal aspects of citizen science such as learning and sense of place.
- Status review of the marbled murrelet (Brachyramphus marmoratus) in Oregon and evaluation of criteria to reclassify the species from threatened to endangered under the Oregon Endangered Species Act. 2017. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Salem, Oregon.
- Periodic status reviews for the Green and Loggerhead Sea Turtles in Washington. Chris Sato. 2017. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Olympia, Washington.
- Beyond Data Points and Research Contributions: The Personal Meaning and Value Associated with Public Participation in Scientific Research. Benjamin Haywood. 2016. International Journal of Science Education.
- Common Murre Update: Growing Awareness of Sea Bird Die-off Thanks to Citizen Reporting. Alaska Fish & Wildlife News. April 2016.
- Community-Based Monitoring and Indigenous Knowledge in a Changing Arctic: A Review for the Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks. Noor Johnson, Carolina Behe, Finn Danielsen, Eva-Maria Krummel, Scot Nickels, Peter Pulsifer. Final report to Sustaining Arctic Observing Networks. Inuit Circumpolar Council. 2016.
- Washington state status report for the Tufted Puffin. Thor Hanson and Gary Wiles. 2015. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Olympia, Washington.
- A COASSTal Sense of Place: Birds, Beaches, and Relationships between People and Place in the Coastal Observation and Seabird Survey Team. Benjamin Haywood. 2014.
- State of the California Current Report. Years 2015 – present. NOAA.
- Global human impacts or climate change? Explaining the Sooty Shearwater decline at the Minard site, Washington State, USA. Kristine Bovy. 2007. Journal of Archaeological Science.
Books Featuring COASST
Strand: An Odyssey of Pacific Ocean Debris
Bonnie Hendersen, Corvallis, OR: Oregon State University Press, 2008.
The Wild Edge: Freedom to Roam the Pacific Coast
Florian Schulz, Seattle, WA: Mountaineer Books, 2015